Everyone has to have a mission – right? Well my mission for the foreseeable future is to build a website, from scratch, and document my progress.
So with that in mind – welcome to the first post in this blog series.
Let me give you some background.
- I used to be a coder, and I have built websites in the past – but that was a long, long time ago. I’m expecting this process to be ok – but also to throw some curveballs at me along the way.
- I have a full-time job -so this is going to be a side project. Some weeks I’ll get a lot of time to spend on it, some I won’t. Bear with me please.
- I’m looking to build this thing and experiment with different tools, hints and tips to see what I can generate. I’m more than happy to have comments and tips from you all – but I can’t guarantee to use all of them.
So with all of that said, let’s get this party started.
Setting Up Website Hosting
So to start with I needed hosting. Spoiler alert – I’m not going to dive into this in too much detail – largely because I already had a domain name (instinctivesolutions.co.uk) and an email account with Ionos. I’ve had the account for years, and always been really happy with it – so no changes needed.
Building The Site
One of the benefits of the Ionos hosting is that it comes with some pretty nice WordPress installation capabilities. I’m not looking for this site (at the moment) to be super fancy, so WordPress is fine to get things moving.
So, step 1 – install the WordPress framework, and then to choosing a template. In order to get things moving nice and quickly I want a template that I can pretty much use with no content to start with, and add all the features back in when I am ready. Personally I took the Twenty Seventeen template from the default WordPress install.
Why? Well two things.
Firstly I like the image 😉
But secondly, and more importantly, it was easy for me to customise and remove the “extra” sections such as About Us, Portfolio, and so on. I’m sure it was easy in the other templates – but I couldn’t figure it out.
All of those sections removed, it was time to create a nice tagline – “The best marketing solutions are Instinctive” (hope you like it) – and a very simple home page. Et voila.
Well not really, I wanted more. I wanted:
- A contact form
- A lot more pages and content
- A blog (spoiler – this is it!)
- Integration to LinkedIn
- Google Analytics
- A more advanced template
- and so much more – all beautifully shaped in a cohesive plan.
But I ran out time!
Come back next time and see how things progress as my website starts to take shape – and please note – I’ll update this original blog as I add more and more to the site. Stay tuned.